Belarus on the edge of collapse - invitation to a press conference
Jacek Saryusz-Wolski MEP and Jacek Protasiewicz MEP, together with the Solidarity with Democratic Belarus Information Office, invite you to a press conference Belarus on the edge of collapse - torture and prison – the Belarusian authorities' only form of dialogue with the opposition, on Wednesday 1 June 2011 @ 13.30 hrs, Press Conference Room PHS 0A50, European Parliament, Brussels .
During the conference, journalists will be able to listen to democratic opposition activists, including independent journalists, talking about the repressions. These will be spoken of by people who have experienced beatings, arrests, and trials - only so in name - at first-hand.
Together they will discuss how to effectively support Belarusians fighting for the democratisation of their country.
The premiere of a moving documentary film will also take place during the press conference. The film contains video clips of the reprisals, conversations with repressed oppositionists, their relatives, and co-workers.
The following people will take part in the conference:
- Nasta Palazhanka, Deputy Chairman of Malady Front (Young Front), an unregistered organisation, received a one-year suspended sentence.
- Andrei Dmitriev, Head of former Presidential candidate Uladzimir Nyaklyaeu's campaign office, received a two-year suspended sentence.
- Ales Michalevich, Presidential candidate in the last elections, one of seven opposition Presidential candidates who were accused by Aleksandr Lukashenka's regime of organising riots on the post-election evening of 19 December 2010. He was released under travel restrictions on February 19 2011, having signed a cooperation agreement with the KGB which he later broke by public testament. He left Belarus and received political asylum in the Czech Republic.
- Vital Rymasheuski, Presidential candidate in the last elections, one of seven opposition Presidential candidates who were accused by Aleksandr Lukashenka's regime of organising riots on the post-election evening of 19 December 2010. He was punished with a conditional sentence of two years' imprisonment.
- Elena Tonkacheva, human rights defender, Head of the Legal Transformation Centre.
- Dasha Korsak, wife of Andrei Sannikau's press secretary, Aliaksandr Atroshchankau (sentenced to 4 years of intensive regime).
For further information:
Joanna Bekker, EPP Group Press and Communications Service, Tel: +32-476-943388
Notes to Editors:
The EPP Group is by far the largest political group in the European Parliament with 265 Members.